Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanks for Your Concern

Entry 13
Written November 9

Notwithstanding this blog that has garnered little attention, we haven't talked to many about the prostate cancer. Below is my e-mail written to those few with whom I shared early on:

Hello,
This is just a quick note to update you on the latest information regarding how I'm planning to move forward in dealing with my prostate cancer. 

It was the considered opinion of the urologists, radiation oncologists and my doctor, that given the state of the cancer in my prostate (the biopsy revealed 12 out of 12 cores containing cancer cells), that I was a candidate for 2 of the variety of treatments available in combating the disease. Those two options are surgery and radiation therapy. After considerable research and consultation with nurses, doctors, friends and individuals who have been through the alternative treatments presented to me, I have opted for the surgery.

The date set for that procedure is Nov 25th at the Health Sciences Center in Winnipeg. The operation itself takes on average, between 3-4 hours and the standard hospital stay is 3-5 days. 

As I think I have mentioned to you, the bone scan and the CT scan which I have undergone both came up negative. For the uninitiated that's a good thing because it would appear the cancer has not migrated outside of the prostate gland into either the bones or the organs. The trick is to get to it before it does.

The odd thing to me about this whole process is that I am exhibiting absolutely no symptoms typically associated with prostate cancer and feel no different than I have for the past year. I almost feel like going back and saying "are you sure you have this diagnosis right". Of course I know they have and I'm quite aware that an illnesses can be present without manifesting itself, but it sure seems odd.

In any event my physical and mental health are just fine and I'm really pleased with the way I have been treated at the Prostate Center in the Cancer Care Manitoba facility. From all that I can learn I have an exceptionally good Urologist/Surgeon and at the finish of my preoperative meeting last week he said the exact right thing. " Well Harry, with any luck we should have you back paddling your canoe this spring."

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for respecting my request that you keep my diagnosis to yourselves until I was ready to go public. It wasn't that I was scared or trying to be secretive but rather I just wanted to have all the data in and the decisions made before going to a wider audience. I'm there now so the publication ban is lifted!! 

Don't be afraid to email or call; be assured that I am no different than I was the last time we spoke, and am fine with what's ahead.

My thanks for your concern and your encouragement. Margaret or I will continue to provide you with updates as events warrant.


[Update] Surgery is now set for Dec. 9, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment