Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pain in the @#*

Entry 47
April 6

The change of seasons is causing me to think about my favorite spring activities like cycling, inline skating and paddling.  


One real concern in two of these pursuits is that prostate problems can sometimes result in sitting problems. Although I haven't experienced serious discomfort since the days immediately following prostate surgery, friends have told me how they had to find ways to make sitting more comfortable. One used a rolled up towel, another tried a sock filled with rice that had been chilled in the freezer, and a third modified and disguised a donut cushion. I'll be looking for a lightweight solution that can maximize comfort, if necessary, while on an extended spring canoe trip.


In anticipation of riding my bike, I contacted Morgan at Olympia Cycle for a bike seat solution. Morgan recommended the Serfas Men's Performance Rx saddle which has a deep groove designed to eliminate pressure in soft areas. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'm going to try it out. Morgan says we'll keep looking until we find one that works. Virtually any good bike shop will have seats like these.  I'm also going to invest in a new pair of cycling shorts with the gel padding and gusseted crotch that will protect the area. Fortunately, I don't have lingering incontinence so pads are not an issue for me when I ride.
-------------
The Serfas bike seat worked great.....




Another option, recumbent bikes are often recommended for cyclists who can't tolerate pressure around their "sit bones".  Someone called it "a cushy club chair on wheels".  Sounds like just the thing for a guy with a tender butt.


Links:
Prostate Pressure and Bicycle Seats 
Bicycling Life: Recumbent Bikes

More good links from Hugh
http://www.bicycleseats.org/prostate-relief-exercise.htm
http://bicycleseatreviews.com/what-is-the-best-bicycle-seat-for-prostate-relief/



No comments:

Post a Comment