Saturday, November 20, 2010

Remove my sphincter? What?!? Are you kidding?

Entry 16
November 20

When the supervising nurse called to go over surgical preparation and post-prostatectomy follow-up, she informed me that she had set up an appointment for me with Nova Physiotherapy who specialize in dealing with the pelvic pain & incontinency in people who had their sphincters removed.

My sphincter will be removed ?  ? ? "What, nobody told me that! I didn't agree to that!"

Apparently, I did.  

Turns out we have more than one sphincter.

She was referring to the urethral sphincter muscle that acts to prevent urine leakage from the bladder. Damage to the urethral sphincter is an expected result of the procedure of separating the prostate from beneath the bladder.    Here's a bit more about that at http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/mens-guide/urinary-incontinence



We made the graphic with Wordle

2 comments:

  1. wasn't there a joke about sphincters? no wait that was rectum.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Harry. It's a great educational opportunity and many will benefit. I wish you all the best in your surgery.

    ReplyDelete