Saturday, February 5, 2011

More PSA Tests in My Future

Entry 36
February 5, 2011


The first postoperative visit to the the surgeon occurred last Tuesday, nearly eight weeks after the prostatectomy. The purpose of the visit was to gauge how well the healing process is going, assess the side effects, and finally discuss what the pathologist and surgeon found as a result of the surgery itself. 


The surgeon, Dr Jeff Saranchuk, seemed pleased with my recovery, as well as with my efforts to aid the recovery by being physically active.  With regards the side effects, he remarked on how quickly the incontinence is resolving itself. Except for a couple of small setbacks early on, I have had very little need for protection.


Apart from incontinence the other major side effect is ED, commonly known as Erectile Dysfunction. This is determined by the impact of the surgery on the nerve bundles at the base of the prostate gland. If the surgeon is able to do ' nerve bundle sparing' during the surgery this is less of an issue. In my case the cancer was lined up along the nerve bundles and Dr. Saranchuk was very clear with me prior to the operation that these may take a hit. Well, they did. As that old cliche from the 80s goes, ' the lights are on but no one's home'. There are still options available here which we will consider but I must admit to being less than enthusiastic at this time. Dr Anne Katz of The Prostate Center at Cancer Care Manitoba has been unfailingly helpful, knowing and sensitive in putting up with what are no doubt my typically male attitude to this issue. If worse comes to worst, it's been a good run. Enough said.


I must admit that I was disappointed by the pathology report that was based on closer microscopic examination of the pelvic lymph nodes, seminal vesicles and prostate gland all of which were removed in the surgery. The unfortunate thing is that the cancer managed to escape the prostate capsule and has been detected in two of the seven removed pelvic lymph nodes and in one of the seminal vesicles.  Not  good.


I was not so much surprised by the potential for more cancer in the area adjacent to the prostate itself. During our October consultation with Dr. Aldrich Ong, the radiation oncologist at The Prostate Center, he noted that while I was a good candidate for either surgery or radiation, the volume (amount) of cancer I had in my prostate gland (35%) was such that there was a 6 in 10 chance he would see me for follow up radiation therapy after a prostatectomy. I suspect he is going to be right. 


Harry shovelling snow off the roof today. Click to enlarge.


When my wife convinced me that it would be a good idea to start this blog we did so with its primary purpose being a means to allow friends and family to have access to a quick way of checking in on how things were proceeding with my treatment. Much to our surprise (and delight) it has turned into something much larger. It has now become obvious that this blog is being read not only by friends and family but also by people who are going through, or have friends that are going through the same mental and physical gymnastics as I am. It  gives me pause for thought on how to word the updates. 


I don't know anybody in Moscow, Tehran, or Marseilles, or for that matter any number of communities all over North America, but they have somehow found this.  Through the magic of the internet the site has been found, stumbled upon, referred, or otherwise wound up on the computer screens of people from all over the world. This amazes me!  


Postoperative Radiotherapy
Postoperative Treatment After Radical Prostatectomy
Male Sexual Dysfunction
Sexual Function After Prostate Cancer Treatment


E-mail contact info: hdstimson @ shaw.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment