Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Here's the Kicker

Entry 39
February 28



As recommended by my urologist, I opted for the ADT/ hormone therapy as the next treatment for my advanced prostate cancer.  Starting today I took my first of 28 Casodex (Bicalutamide) antiandrogen pills. Zoladex injections will be administered on March 21st and subsequently every three months. I'll also be taking vitamin D and calcium.

You may find this interesting. The pharmacist at Costco where I picked up my Casodex prescription was very comprehensive in wanting to know what other drugs or supplements I was taking. I take Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate and an Omega 3 Fish Oil. She insisted on consulting a frequently-updated, subscription-only site they use all the time and giving me copies of the information on natural medicines and their potential for conflict with other medications and illnesses.  She spoke highly of the database which is called the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. 

Here's the kicker. Under a section about chondroitin called 'Special Precautions and Warnings'
"Prostate Cancer - Preliminary research suggests that chondroitin may cause the spread or reoccurence of prostate cancer. This effect has not been shown with chondroitin sulfate supplements. Still, until more is known, don't take chondroitin sulfate if you have prostate cancer or are at high risk for developing it."

I have been taking 2 of those Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate pills a day since I ripped my knee up 7 or so years ago while heli-skiing. I wonder?


Vitamin  D
Casodex Fact Sheet
ChemoCare : Casodex

Email contact: hdstimson @ shaw.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment